Friday, March 4, 2011

Urban Fantasy

Hi everyone! Before I get on to today's real post, I wanted to ask a favor. I haven't read much urban fantasy and would like to read more, but there's a catch. I tend to judge new genres (or sub-genre in this case) by the cover, so to speak. Unfortunately I've only been able to find one series that I felt I could stomach (the Dresden books by Jim Butcher) because everything else looks like some horrible cross between Twilight and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (i.e. paranormal romance thinly disguised by a vernier of action or mystery). I found a wonderful blog post while I was trying to find some worthwhile titles (seriously, it describes my perception of 98% of urban fantasy that I know of).

So, my request is this: will someone out there please recommend a few urban fantasy books sans paranormal romance? I'd really appreciate it!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked Clockwork Angel. It's a little steampunk as well as urban fantasy, and is the prequel to the Mortal Instruments series, which I've heard good things about. There is some romance in Clockwork Angel, but it's not cheesy or cliche, and it's not the focus of the book. I'd recommend it!

    ReplyDelete