Thursday, March 17, 2011

How to Sell Books in the Age of Social Media

This morning I read this post on Nathan Bransford's blog (which I love) about how social media can help you sell your book! The funny thing is that just yesterday, I listened to an episode of WritingExcuses that talked about epublishing...and made almost the same point! Here's the scoop:

With the rise of ebooks, it's becoming a lot easier to publish your books (whether that's a good thing or not depends on your point of view). However, it's also becoming harder to market your work through the traditional methods. However, the guys at WritingExcuses surmise that the way to market your work is through social media—it's all about making contacts and getting to know people.

Nathan Bransford says that it's really about socializing online and not marketing per se. The more you interact with people, the more the get to know you, develop a rapport, and (eventually) want to read your work.

It would take way too long to rehash everything these guys said, so I'm not going to. However, I do encourage all of you to read what they've written about this.

I'm really glad I started this blog; like Nathan said, it's a lot of fun! And I hope it will help me sell my books when the time comes, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. For now I'm just enjoying getting to talk to people who also like to write.

What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment